18 March 2008

Pubbing

After Eric's first day of classes, he went to the pub with his classmates. Of course, he did not order an alcoholic beverage. He just went to hang out with his classmates and get to know them better.

But he came home with reports from the pub. For instance, it cost him about $3 just to have a soda. $3!!!! And a beer? Like $6.

Since then I've started paying attention to prices for alcoholic beverages, and they are so expensive! The students at the University of Otago are known for being hard-core drinkers, and it just boggles my mind. How can they afford to consume such expensive drinks?

It also got me thinking about how much I'd be willing to spend to get totally wasted. It would depend, primarily, upon the state of my life. If it'd had been a really terrible week, I think I'd spend a little bit more to drown my sorrows.

I've come to the conclusion that I'd spend about $15 to get drunk on a week-to-week basis. If it were a bad week, I might be willing to spend $30-$45.

Honestly, I don't know how much it would take to get me drunk. But rest assured, if I couldn't do it in two beers, it would just not be worth it for me. And I'm not talking about a little buzz. I'd want to be totally hammered for my $15. Otherwise, totally not worth it, because really, folks, the smell of beer makes me want to vomit. I'm sure the taste can't be too magnificent.

Really, though. I just don't understand how students can blow so much money on something to drink, evenings they can't remember and killer hang-overs.

No comments: