10 November 2007

Tortilla Soup

It's cooling down outside, and that means soup. I love, love, love soups. Tonight I made carrot soup, and we will eat it on Monday. I'm not sure why we are not having it on Sunday, but it was Eric's call. (I will give you the recipe for this when I have it in front of me, which I do not right now).

Earlier this week we had tortilla soup. It's my mom's recipe, and it's a family favorite. I don't know if I make it quite like my mom. It never seems quite the same, but I like it nonetheless. And I've never served it to anybody that didn't love it and think I was amazing. Here's the recipe. Sorry for the lack of accurate measurements. It's not really written down anywhere.

Tortilla Soup:
  • Chicken (I usually use boneless, skinless because it is easier to work with, but if you find bone-in chicken on sale, you can use that too.)
  • Chicken bullion cubes or powdered bullion
  • 2 white onions, chopped finely
  • Garlic- 1 clove, minced
  • Jalapenos, chopped (2 or 3, depending on your preference of spicyness)
  • Cilantro- one bunch, chopped
  • Green onions- one bunch, chopped
  • 4-5 tomatoes, chopped
  • Corn tortillas
Boil the chicken with the onions and garlic. Cut up the chicken into bite-size pieces. (This is where it is easier if you use boneless chicken.) Add bullion cubes to the remaining liquid until it tastes strong and brothy. It should already taste like weak broth because you boiled the chicken in it. Add the jalapenos, cilantro, and tomatoes. Let simmer for about 5-10 minutes. Tear apart 1-2 tortillas per bowl, and spoon the soup on top. Don't store the tortillas in the soup or you will promptly have mush.

Easy. Cheap. And sooooo tasty. Let me know if you try it and love it. Don't let me know if you don't love it. I will disown you.

Also, there is usually powdered bullion (not cubed) in the Mexican section of the store. It's called "sabor de pollo," I think. It's generally cheaper than the American stuff, and it's just the same.

Mom, if I got any of this wrong, this is the perfect time to comment on my blog since I know you read it. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds right to me, it took 2 years to come up with this easy soup. Kept tring to hard. Simple is best.
Mom