22 October 2007

New York Doll

We rented New York Doll from Netflix, and we watched it on Saturday night. Have I ever told you how I love Netflix and want to marry it? Well, I can't because I'm already married, and besides Netflix is a girl. I know this because it is organized and efficient.

But this post is about New York Doll, a documentary about Arthur "Killer" Kane, the bassist in the band the New York Dolls. After the band disbanded, Arthur went through some hard times and eventually joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This movie goes through the basic history of the band, Arthur's conversion to the church, and spends most of its time documenting the band's reunion in London.

I had heard great things about this movie, and I was very excited to see it. After all, what an interesting story. A man changes from life of drugs, sex, and rock'n'roll (literally) to a life of sexual abstinence outside of marriage, no alcohol, tobacco or illicit drugs, and church. I figured it was bound to be interesting.

It wasn't. The movie was well-made, I suppose. Many well-known artists were interviewed and the story-line itself was moderately compelling. But the movie itself just wasn't stellar.

I think it is because it's so difficult to get a sound bite from anyone who has been doing drugs for 30 years, which describes most of the interviewees.

1 comment:

Bart said...

I've heard of this guy's story. And I appreciate your review of the movie. With so many good things to see, reviews are a helpful filter.

And Netflix is most likely a good combination of men and women. But I agree - Janssen is very organized and efficient. She's like a quad core processor - able to do so many things at once and stay completely on top of them all.