08 March 2010

Review: Alice in Wonderland

We saw the new Alice in Wonderland this weekend. We say, "meh." It got a 54% on Rotten Tomatoes, which we both thought was a pretty accurate score.

Visually it was pretty awesome, and I expected it to be, being a Tim Burton creation.

The story was rather lame though. Rather than re-hash Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland or Alice Through the Looking Glass the filmmakers decided to create their own Wonderland story. It was rather lame. Basically, Alice finds herself back in Wonderland and finds out that everyone is waiting for her to fulfill the prophecy which states that she will kill the Jabberwocky. Once she does so, the White Queen will dethrone the Queen of Hearts and all will be happy again in Wonderland.

The thing is, the original stories (and poem, I guess) on which the movie is based are full of whimsy and humor, mixed with philosophical questions. This movie version was not especially funny, nor whimsical, nor thought-provoking. As with most movies based on literature, I'd take the literature any day.

3 comments:

Packrat said...

Thanks for the second opinion on this. My daughter saw it, and said she didn't like it at all.

Angela said...

I feel like I'm reading my future review of this film. I will see it anyway, just because it is Tim Burton. Maybe going in knowing all I can expect is visual treats I'll enjoy it more?

Steven said...

I think my all time favorite Tim Burton movie is Big Fish. That movie was great. I also enjoyed Tim Burtons Charlie and the Chocalate Factory, but it was No WIllY WONKA. If you have not seen 9 a Tim Burton produced move you should see that. Of course Edward Scissor Hands was good. Thanks for the warning on Alice. I have been wanting to go back to the drive-In here in town. It is GREAT! Six bucks a person for a double feature. On top of that the food is VERY good. FUNNEL CAKES & DIPPIN" DOTS!