21 March 2010

"A place of love and beauty"

In February there was an announcement made about the Ogden Temple. The outside would be completely renovated, and it would look like a totally different building. This was exciting news, and something a little out of the norm. It is not uncommon for a temple to be renovated, but for it to take on a totally different external face is, at least to my knowledge, unprecedented.

It made people question whether the Provo Temple, which looks almost exactly the same, would also undergo a similar external upgrade. (I was, apparently, not the only person to wonder about this.) So you can see just how similar these temples are, here are a couple of photos. The Ogden Temple is on the left, and the Provo Temple is on the right.



Let's be honest, a lot of folks think these temples are not the prettiest, and some people even think they are ugly. I'll admit that I wasn't particularly fond of the Provo Temple when I moved to Provo almost seven years ago. But it's grown on me. A lot.

I didn't receive my endowment there. I didn't get married there. I've never been to a live sealing ceremony there. No significant life event has happened for me in the Provo Temple, but it is, hands down, the temple I've spent the most time in, and because of that I love it.

When it was originally built the spire was gold, not white. There was also no statue of Moroni at the top, although the original plans called for one. Those things both changed in 2003, which was just before I moved here.

The original design of the temple was meant to symbolize the pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night which led the Israelites to the promised land. Learning that symbolism really changed my view of the design of the Provo Temple, and I began to see the beauty of it.

One of my favorite things about the home that we live in right now is that we have a really wonderful view of the temple, especially at night when it is lit up. (And in the winter when there are no leaves on the trees to obstruct the view.)


Essentially, all temples are the same. But I've grown attached to the Provo Temple, and it is one of the things I will miss the most when we move in a month.

To learn more about LDS temples, go here.

3 comments:

Lanette said...

I totally feel the same way about the Provo Temple. You guys truly do have a great view. Have you found a new place yet? We're going to miss you guys! We need to get together for a game night soon.

Unknown said...

To Boston?
You're moving near ME?!?
(I'm so excited!)
:)

Janet said...

I love the Provo Temple! It's the first one I did baptisms for the dead in, I took out my endowment and got married there. I'm glad they aren't changing it!