29 March 2010

Avocado Sandwiches

I mentioned in Friday's post that Eric likes to make avocado sandwiches. They are too yummy not to share the recipe (I hesitate to call it a recipe, because, come on, it's just a sandwich!).

My sister-in-law introduced these to my family when I was roughly 11. She called them veggie burgers. Eric and I have adapted that recipe, so I will share both with you.

Nicole's Avacado Veggie Burgers
Ingredients:
Hamburger buns
Sliced cheese
Onions, sliced
Avocados, sliced
Tomatoes, sliced
Alfalfa sprouts
Ranch dressing

Directions:
  1. Sautee the onions in some oil until they are clear.
  2. Toast the hamburger buns, with the cheese on the bun, so the cheese will melt.
  3. Spread some ranch dressing on a bun (or both buns, if you like).
  4. Build your sandwich on the toasted buns with the sliced avocados, tomatoes, onions, and alfalfa sprouts.
  5. Consume ravenously.
Eric and Sherry Variation
  • Use regular bread, toasted.
  • Don't bother sauteing the onions.
  • Use Italian dressing instead of ranch.
  • Use lettuce instead of alfalfa sprouts. (We love alfalfa sprouts, but we rarely have them on hand and pretty much always have lettuce on hand.)
I feel kind of lame posting about how to make sandwiches, but my, oh my, how we love avocado sandwiches. They are so healthy and tasty and filling. And you could have about a gazillion different variations, based on what you have available and what you like. Let me know if you try them and like them.

3 comments:

P1 Steven said...

Havent had one of those in a LONG time. Sounds good. Grilled out for the first time this spring yesterday. Good times...

John said...

I think Nicole had this sandwich in California on a HS spring break. For as much as I love meat, these sandwiches are a real hit with me. We love to eat them in the late summer when we can get farm fresh tomatoes.

Unknown said...

Oooooh! I'm embarrassed to admit that for the HUGEness with which I love avocados, I've never eaten one of these. It'll go right on my menu.