01 January 2011

2010 Book Stats

As I did last year, I've made a couple of graphs to summarize my 2010 reading:

I read a total of 52 books this year.

My two best months were May and September. We went on our cruise in May, which gave me ample catch-up time. In September I went to Texas and did quite a bit of reading on the flights to and fro, plus a fair amount of reading at my parents' house. April was pathetic because of my ridiculous need for sleep during the first trimester. August was crazy-busy with Eric's family in town and family reunions and work and such. I have no recollection of October and why I read so little that month.I am astounded at how much non-fiction I read this year! Of the 52 books I read, 23 were non-fiction. Definitely a high for me.
Of the total books, 23.1% of them were ones I had read before, and 11.5% of them were audiobooks.

It has been very difficult for me to choose my top five books for the year. Oddly, this is not because there were a lot of books that I just lovedlovedloved. Instead, there were quite a few books that I liked very well, and only a couple that fell into the lovedlovedloved category. With that said, my top five for 2010 are:
  1. Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton
  2. Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss
  3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
  4. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
  5. When Everything Changed by Gail Collins
What were the top 10% of books you read this year?

4 comments:

Ana said...

You should try to find books by Nigel Latta. He is HILARIOUS!! Chris has at least one of his parenting books and although I haven't read "Eats, shoots and leaves" I imagine he takes rather a Lynne Truss approach to parenting. You'll love it :)

Unknown said...

I'm still back at the pie chart and bar graph... Wow--look at YOU!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

We are doing the first for my book group this month. It is one of my all time favorites. The second is another beloved one: Truss puts the arky in snarky. Whatever that means.

heidikins said...

I am currently reading/listening to "The Help", but of your other top-5 I absolutely love Cry, the Beloved Country, Eats, Shoots & Leaves and my all-time favorite, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Love!!

xox