23 February 2010

Review: Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss

I finally got around to reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss, and it may be the second best thing that has happened to me in February. (The Olympics being the best, of course). You may be shocked and appalled that I've finished a book that wasn't in the big stack I blogged about last month, or maybe you don't care at all. I have completed five of the books from that original stack, decided not to read one (The Lovely Bones), and have inserted two more, including Eats, Shoots and Leaves.

I loved this book so much. It may seem odd that anybody can possibly love and adore a book about punctuation, but this book is just so good. Hilarious, really. And short. The motto of the book is "Sticklers Unite!" and that's something I can get behind. I am a stickler for grammar, spelling and punctuation. Poor grammar and punctuation can change the meaning of your writing, and it is incredibly distracting to sticklers like me. When you write, "Your so awesome," it makes me think, "My so awesome what? You didn't finish your sentence!" Fortunately, I am not the only one who feels this way. This book has been a big hit in the U.S. and in the U.K., and rightfully so. It is a delightful read, and it is something that you really should read - not listen to. If you are a stickler, you will love it. If you are not a stickler, you should read it anyway; maybe you will learn something.

5 comments:

Packrat said...

One thing, I wish "they" would quit changing the rules about when and when not to use commas. My generation was taught to use them, basically whenever one would stop to take a breath. It does help to make meanings more clear.

Packrat said...

PS - Is it "more clear" or "clearer"? lol

Steven said...

sum of our lower rancked employeees have to have there emales read by a supervysor be4 they are sint. Just reelly sad people can not grasp the inglish language.

Ana said...

I think I might have to get me that book....

Jessica Leigh said...

I may need to go hunt this book down! I've heard of it, have wanted to read it, but just haven't done so yet. Now may be the time (since my current read, THE PIANO TUNER, is deeper than I can currently handle).

P.S. I have joined Goodreads! Thanks for the suggestion!