24 October 2009

Utah Food Co-Op Strikes Again!

This is what I brought home this week from the Utah Food Co-op. It cost $23. Yep, that's an eggplant. I've already turned it into baba ghanoush. (Yes, I actually cooked!)
Food included:
  • 2 lb. boneless, center-cut pork loin roast
  • 2 lb. split chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
  • 1 lb. lean ground beef (85/15)
  • 4 4oz. cubed steaks (1 lb. total)
  • 1 loaf Stoneground artisan wheat bread
  • 16 oz. lentils
  • 2 avocados
  • 6 Golden Delicious apples (Utah-grown)
  • 6 pears
  • 5 bananas
  • 1 head cabbage
  • 2 lbs. carrots
  • 1 eggplant
  • 3 lbs. yellow onions (Utah-grown)
I will say that I wasn't uber-thrilled with the meat selection this month, but I went ahead and got a standard share instead of a harvest share, which only includes fruits and vegetables.

If you live in Utah, you should really do the food co-op. There are pick-up locations all over the state. It gives you great food that is often grown locally. (Hooray for sustainability!) There may be stuff that you don't want, but you can always (a) try something new or (b) give it away. Plus, the things that are included are, as a rule, really great quality and really good for you.

1 comment:

trishtator said...

Thoughts on baba ghanoush, O wise Sherry? I want to know!