25 August 2008

Review: Lamingtons

When I first started teaching seminary I really wanted the kids to be more familiar with the books in the Old Testament, so we sang the song a number of times. Pretty much every time we got to Lamentations, one kid would sing "Lamingtons." And then would say, "Oh man! I did it again. I just can't remember that it's not lamingtons." I didn't think much of it, but a few days later the kids were talking about how yummy lamingtons were. "What are lamingtons? Like a lamb burger or something?" The kids proceded to laugh and laugh and laugh at me. Apparently lamingtons are a dessert. That day I got online and found this recipe, which I finally made today.

I mixed the batter in plain view of Eric while he fiddled on the computer. Then I popped it in the oven. While the cake was baking Eric ventured into the kitchen and saw the mixing bowl. "What's this?" he asked. "It's the batter," I said. "How'd you make it?" he wanted to know. "I mixed the ingredients together and stirred," I told him. "You didn't use a box?" he queried.

I guess that just goes to show you that baking is really not my thing.

It's the last week of Whip it Up! I've enjoyed participating, but I'm definitely ready to be done with the obligation of finding, trying out and blogging about a brand new recipe each week.

With all that said, here are the basics:
  1. The recipe was quite simple to follow. Nothing tricky or confusing about it. However, it is a bit laborious as you are meant to slice the cake then dip each bit in the icing and then roll it around in coconut. I decided from the get-go that that was too much work and merely iced it and then sprinkled with coconut.
  2. It was yummy.
  3. I'm not really crazy about baking, so probably not.
There you have it, folks. Eight recipes in eight weeks. I don't think I'll be trying anything new for quite some time.

2 comments:

Alicia K said...

I love lamingtons. in saying that i was just about to go to my kitchen and get the last lamington i have abd eat it but i thought id read blogs first. spoky.
i find tho that bought lamingtons are so much better than home made. only because i can never bake a yummy fluffy sponge. although a lot of bought ones have mock cream.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Lamingtons are pretty much my favorite thing. If you don't want to cook them they are pretty much available at any take away shop where you can get a sandwich. Yikes, now I'm craving fish and chips and it is only six in the morning.

Have you had a peanut slab yet?
What about Tim Tams?
Anzac biscuits?
Marmite and tasty cheese on hard crackers?
Milo for breakfast?