19 August 2008

Adaptation

They say you've lived long enough in one place when you start dreaming in that place's native language. New Zealand's native language is pretty much the same as mine, so I don't know how much that applies to me.

However, two nights ago I dreamed about driving. I drove on the left side of the road.

A few weeks before that I dreamed about driving on the left side of the road, but also on the left side of the car. That is, I was in an American car on a New Zealand road (and we got rear-ended, I'll have you know!).

A couple of weeks ago I wouldn't have been able to tell you that I'd fully adapted to Kiwi life because I was still dreaming in American. I guess I can now, though.

2 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Don't people in your dreams speak with the accent?

Angela said...

Did you say, "I love yous, and NZ heaps, ay," in your dream? Because, while that would have been very "kiwi" of you, we could no longer be friends.