20 May 2010

Anonymous commenters

I rarely get anonymous comments. That's fine with me. I don't really mind anonymous comments, as long as the person who is commenting is not hiding behind the anonymous option so that they can say they disagree with me.

I fancy myself a reasonable person - a reasonable person who will not flip out if you disagree with me, especially if I am going to say something remotely controversial. I know going into that situation that SOMEBODY is bound to disagree with me. And that's okay. Just be civil. I won't hate you.

Like I said, I rarely get anonymous comments. But when I see dissenting anonymous comments on other people's blogs (particularly people who I tend to view as reasonable, and not crazy zealots), I get a little befuddled. Did the anonymous commenter really think that the blogger would hate and despise them forever for disagreeing with a post? Wouldn't you be MORE annoyed that a person couldn't just come out and say that they disagree with you? Have you ever commented anonymously (on purpose)?

What are your thoughts on anonymous comments?

(Yes, I do realize that simply by writing this post I am just begging for anonymous comments. Just remember that probably only the first one will be funny. So you better hurry.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It really bugs me that people that have the same name as me, give me a bad name. You know who you are.

Sincerely,

Anonymous

Jessica Leigh said...

I feel like there are few reasons to be anonymous:

a) You want to do something kind or up-lifting for the sole purpose of being kind/up-lifting and not for recognition.

b) You want it to be a surprise... it's not intended to remain anonymous.

c) You feel a sense of shame for what you are writing.

99% of the time, I feel that anonymous blog comments (as well as letters to editors, business complaints, etc.) fall under heading 'c'.

THE END

P1 Steven said...

I like to have fun on the Dallas Morning News blogs. I will make a completely off subject comment to see if I can get a comment war going.Its funny to see people's reaction. In the case of Dallas Morning News they probably see it as a good thing. More comments on a blog create more return traffic. Its a win-win!

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Um yes. When I didn't want somebody to link back to my blog, for various reasons. I also have a different e-mail account set up for the blog I keep with my Young Women and don't give my blog address out to people in my ward.

And I'm in the CIA.

And Jessica, 99% of all statistics are made up on the spot. ;)

Anonymous said...

ahh yes all the negative buzz of the anonymous but then you wouldnt get luverly comments like:
I REALLY like reading your blog, your posts are interesting, funny and a bit delicious also.
Thats what I think about your blog =)