04 July 2009

What Are You?

I had a discussion once about how many people claim "American" as their ancestry on the U.S. census. This person felt that this was a sign of how many people didn't know where their ancestry originated. I took it as a sign of a lot of people feeling they are not English just because their great-grandfather was. Usually when people ask me, I say I'm American. But if I give that answer and the inquirer is specifically asking about my heritage, "American" doesn't really appease them. I know my Americans came from somewhere, but they've been here a rather long time. In fact, MOST of my ancestors have been in America for a long time. I have many ancestors who fought in the Civil War (both sides), and many who were around and fought in the Revolutionary War. Not to mention my Dutch ancestors who helped settle New Amsterdam (which, as They Might Be Giants have taught us, is now New York City).

For example (I'm using the Ahnentafel numbering system, lest there be any confusion about why I started on #4):

My Grandparents (for simplicity's sake, born about 1920):
4. California
5. California
6. Iowa
7. Texas

Looking at just those four, I'm 100% American.

My Great-Grandparents (furthering simplicity - born about 1890-1900):
8. England
9. Illinois
10. Tennessee
11. Alabama
12. Virginia
13. Wisconsin
14. Texas
15. Texas

Looking at those eight, I'm 87.5% American and 12.5% English.

And my Great-Great Grandparents (born approximately 1860 - 1880):

16. England
17. England
18. New York
19. Illinois
20. Tennessee
21. Tennessee
22. France
23. Tennessee
24. New York
25. New York
26. Denmark
27. Denmark
28. Texas
29. Georgia
30. Alabama
31. Texas

As you can see there's only slightly more variation when you go back a generation. 68.75% American, 12.5% English, 12.5% Danish and 6.25% French.

You could also break it up by Yankees vs. Confederates, in which case the Confederates win: 43.75% Confederate; 31.25% neutral; and 25% Yankee.

I guess I better wear some more grey.

But anyway, what are you?

7 comments:

Packrat said...

True Melting Pot American (mostly European ancestry). I could do what you just did, but I won't do it here. :)

La Yen said...

Utah
Utah
Utah
Illinois

Scotland
Denmark
Arizona
Utah
Russia
Utah
Illinois
Illinois

New Hampshire
Utah
Utah
Utah
Scotland
Scotland
Denmark
Denmark
Russia
Russia
Utah
Utah
Illinois
Illinois
Maryland
Maryland

So I am with you--but more of a Yankee!

Giggles said...

I believe you'd have to go back two greats to find ancestors that weren't born in the United States.

But this reminds me of a survey done at the small mid-western hospital my father works at a few years ago. He was surprised to see that 100% of the people served at the hospital were Native American. Apparently the guy gathering the information thought Native American meant born in the United States. Which it does. It's just not what it's normally used for.

Packrat said...

Okay, I caved. LOL I used my biological father's info, even though he didn't raise me.

Wyoming
Utah
Missouri
Wyoming

Illinois
Minnesota
Utah
Utah
Missouri
Missouri
Canada
Arkansas

Pennsylvania
Illinois
New York
Canada
England
England
West Virginia
Michigan
Tennessee
Tennessee
North Carolina
Missouri
Canada
Canada
Iowa
Wisconsin

Even the Southerners were "Yankees".

Fionna said...

Scottish, born and bred with a wee bit o' Irish thrown in. Go Scotland!!!!!!

allicat4 said...

Hey! I don't believe you've mentioned your French ancestry to me!

Janet said...

You got me intrigued and I had to pull out my files and look. Here's what I got

Utah
Utah
Idaho
Idaho

Wyoming
Utah
Belgium
Utah
Denmark
Denmark
Utah
Utah

Denmark
Denmark
Denmark
Denmark
Sweden
Sweden
Wisconsin
Utah
Switzerland
Iowa
Belgium
Belgium
(still working to find the last four)

Thanks for asking!