25 February 2013

Ski Day at Sundance

We went skiing on Friday. It was our first time in seven years. I signed up for the passes through work, and we could choose any resort in Utah. I'd actually only ever skied in Jackson Hole prior to this (How pretentious does that sound?), so I didn't know which resort to choose. Eric suggested Sudance because it's the closest to Provo (and his parents live there and would be watching the boys), and it's fairly small and has easy runs. We had such a good time! I would love to go more often.

The weather on Friday started off really cold and snowy, but it warmed up and the snow cleared away about an hour into our skiing. Because I'm a pansy and totally out of shape we didn't stay very long, but ultimately that was probably for the best. Every part of my body ached on Saturday.

When we were ready to go home we realized the only way to get down to where we had parked would require taking a blue run. (Green is easiest, and blue is next.) We had spent all day going down the same two green runs, and even on those I took plenty of spills. (Anyone looking for entertainment is free to pay for me to go skiing. I will not mind if you laugh your head off as I wipe out over and over again in the most ridiculous and dramatic ways. But just to be clear, you are the one paying for the pass and renting my gear. It's a tradeoff, see?) I basically snowplowed down the whole way.

It was actually a valuable lesson for me. Part of the reason I had to snowplow the entire run was that I had twisted my knee two runs before that. It wasn't horrible, but it was bad enough that I was a little worried. On the next run I had a really hard time turning, which meant I couldn't control my speed - or anything really - very well. I figured that would be our last run, and I was very disheartened we would have to do another, and to top it off it would have to be a blue! Like I said, the blue really wasn't so bad, it's just that I was so tired worn out that I just pointed my toes together and snowplowed all the way down the run. I realized that had we done a blue earlier in the day, before I was totally exhausted, I probably would have handled it okay. Next time we'll get it right.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

My son was there Friday too! What a beautiful place to ski.

Jenn said...

You're making me jealous! I miss skiing like crazy. And even though Sundance is smaller than the other Utah resorts and serious skiiers may scoff at it, I think it's my favorite resort.

Roseann said...

I love skiing too! Devon and I just went a couple weeks ago for our first time in about 8 years. That's funny we both just went after such a long hiatus.

Janssen said...

I've never actually skied (only snowboarded once).