23 August 2009

Revew: Pull Aparts

This week we had the annual L. Family reunion in Park City. It was a blast. Part of the tradition is a baked food called Pull Aparts. I mentioned that I still hadn't made them, and Eric said I needed to learn how, since I got a bundt pan a few weeks ago. Since I want to be just like Grandma when I grow up (including taking on the Alpine Slide at age 80), the Pull Aparts were an obvious choice for my the last week of Whip it Up.

Yesterday I whipped out the L. Family cookbook and found Grandma's recipe:

Ingredients:
24 frozen Rhodes rolls
1 3-oz. pkg. Butterscotch pudding (not instant)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
walnuts (optional)

Directions:
  1. Place frozen rolls in a greased bundt pan, sprinkle with the dry pudding.
  2. Combine melted butter, sugar and cinnamon. Pour over the rolls.
  3. Cover and let rise at room temperature overnight.
  4. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Leave in pan for five minutes and invert over a large plate. Serve immediately.
My results were... less than stellar. The main problem being that I prepared the rolls at 10 last night. But I didn't bake them until I woke up at 11:30 this morning. Clearly Grandma's "overnight" is shorter than mine. (In my defense, I was completely wiped out yesterday after three days of reunioning, commuting to Salt Lake while reunioning, spending an afternoon at the lake, and going shopping at the mall. Add to that the fact that Eric didn't get home from work until about 12:15, and we didn't go to bed until after 1, and you can understand a little bit better why I slept so late.)

Because they rose for so long, they were literally spilling out of the bundt pan and onto the counter. Then, I baked them for the prescribed amount of time, but because they had risen so tall, the ones at the top got fairly badly burned. However, the ones at the bottom were great!

So, the questions:
  • Was the recipe easy to follow? - Yes. It's about as simple as baking recipe can be considering you use already prepared rolls that are frozen. No complaints here, only next time I might try them with wheat rolls.
  • Did the dish taste good? - The ones that were not burnt were lovely. I can understand why this is a family favorite.
  • Would you make it again? - Definitely. But I will set an alarm to wake up so they don't rise for so long.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I just made pull aparts for the first time last week, too! Like you, I had been wanting to make them for a while, but just recently got a bundt pan. I got my recipe from the Taste of Home Simple and Delicious magazine and they were AWESOME! They actually had cream cheese in the middle of each bite.