25 June 2009

Prizes for good suggestions

Did I mention that I'm participating in the summer reading program at the Provo Library? Oh, well, I am. And I can win prizes for reading books! The thing is, I need suggestions. I need suggestions of books that are not going to take me all summer to get through. If they are take-a-long-time-to-get-through books then you can recommend them to me when the summer is over. I'm not afraid of long books at all; I just want to have my name in the pot for as many times as I can, and that means books that are not too long. Actually, if they are long but really fast reads, (i.e. Harry Potter) then that is just fine. (Did you know that I have read 27 books this year and six of those have been in June? See. I'm on fire.)

Anyway, recommendations, please.

Also, I still need Whip it Up recommendations. I've already picked out my recipe for the first week, but I'm going to need more suggestions because this program lasts eight whole weeks!

Maybe if you make good suggestions you can win a prize.

In fact, yes. I've just decided. You give me all the book suggestions and recipe suggestions you can conjure. If I use anything you've suggested, then your name will go in my bucket. Then there will be a drawing. Then you may win a prize.

What's the prize? I don't know. Whip It Up lasts 8 weeks, so I've still got a while to decide. But, it will probably (read: maybe) be really awesome. I mean, at least it will come to you in the mail, and that in and of itself is pretty darn great.

And while we're making up things off the top of our heads, limit 5 book suggestions and 5 recipe suggestions per person.

11 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

The first few that pop as I look at my shelf:

A Long Way From Chicago
A Year Down Yonder
The Princess Bride
Maniac McGee
Poisonwood Bible

I made this tonight--all from the garden:

I boiled new potatoes (2 pounds?) in bite-sized chunks in their skin. While they boiled I melted 3 Tbsp of butter. I added 3 Tbsp of flour to the butter and cooked it a minute or two then added 1/2 cup of rough chopped sweet white onion, I let it cook in the reux for a few minutes. I then added 1 3/4 cup milk, whisking thoroughly, with 1/2 tsp white pepper, salt to taste and 1 tsp dried dill. During the last two minutes of cooking the potatoes I added fresh shelled peas. Drain the cooked potatoes and peas, pour the white gravy over the top and stir well.

Heaven.

bubby69 said...

I've just read Sins of the Father by Fleur Beale it took me 3 days to read so for you half a day.

Jenn said...

Don't know why, but I've been into girly fiction lately. They may or may not be your style, but they ARE quick reads:
-The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 1, 2, 3, 4 (That counts as 4 suggestions, right?)
-Confessions of a Shopaholic (I haven't actually finished this one because it was in the stolen car. But it is very quick and better than the movie.)

Dusty and Amy said...

I know this is a lame suggestion but next on my list (that you might actually be remotely interested in) is Columbine. I picked it up at the store the other day and flipped through it but it hooked me. I weird I know...

Janssen said...

I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and it was SOOOO good. Holy crap I loved it.

Ana said...

Foxpsell by Gillian Rubenstein
Baby no eyes by Patricia Grace
My sister Sif by Ruth Park
Canoe in the Mist by Elsie Locke
Anything Ursula Le Guin - especially the Earth Sea trilogy - which apparently has another couple of books to it haha - I am yet to read them.
And I will get back to you with a recipe unless you want to look it up yourself - it's Mexicali Lasagne from www.foodinaminute.co.nz

Ana said...

Actually Canoe in the Mist is actually based on a true event.

Erin Gong said...

We will definitely be at park city ready for serious game time!

Book recommendations...I've been very into the Amelia Peabody mystery series by Elizabeth Peters. Chronicles of Prydain are also a nice summer read by Lloyd Alexander. Series of Unfortunate Events is also fun (and very, very short!).

Angela said...

I second The Poisonwood Bible...and also add The Rag and Bone Shop, by Robert Cormier. If you haven't read it, it warrants a place on your list because you can read it in an afternoon...AND it's awesome.

S Lindsay said...

"Stumbling on Happiness" by Daniel Gilbert is a nice readable summary of all the research on what we think makes us happy and what actually does. I think about this book ALL THE TIME in relation to everything else in life. Gilbert weaves together stuff from sociology, brain research, psychology, politics,etc into a funny narrative. That's my vote. Enjoy. (or not--were you looking for fiction?)

Unknown said...

The Graveyard book.
Savvy.
The Amaranth Enchantment.
I'll think of two more... but I echo Janssen's comment about the G.L.A.P.P.P.S book. LOVED it.