02 December 2008

Tender Mercy

Last night I read Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin's most recent conference talk, "Come What May, and Love It." I'm not sure why his talk touched me so much at this time, particularly considering I don't feel like I'm going through anything resembling a tumultous time in my life. But his talk did touch me, and I felt like I should blog about it.

Then, much to my surprise, I learned of his passing this morning. I'm grateful that he was able to give his most recent address, and that I was able to read and ponder it just before learning of his death.

My favorite quote was this:
How can we love days that are filled with sorrow? We can't--at least not in the moment. I don't think my mother was suggesting that we suppress discouragement or deny the reality of pain. I don't think she was suggesting that we smother unpleasant truths beneath a cloak of pretended happiness. But I do believe that the way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life.

4 comments:

Jennifer Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Lee said...

Thank you for an excellent post and the reminder of a great quote.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

My friend Melissa is Elder Wirthland's grand-daughter. She wrote a really touching post this morning called "The End of an Era." You should check out her blog today. (On my sidebar.)

Lovely post.

Alice said...

As we go thru life I like to remeber "It's the bad days that make the good days better." I don't know who said it, but I have always loved it, and it has helped me get through some very hard times. I think that it really goes with his way to look at life.