05 August 2007

Vote Out One of Eric's Ugly Ties Each Summer Program

It's a fact. Wives should be in charge of husbands' wardrobes. That's just the way it is. I've been giving Eric guidance (sometimes involving scowling) for the last two years. I am gradually weening him from his teenager-clothes and am working on helping him learn what clothes are good for him and what clothes are not so good for him. On occasion, I rummage through Eric's clothes and choose about five shirts and say the following, "You never wear these shirts AND they're ugly. Therefore you may keep three of them." It helps to clear out the closet of stuff that he never wears and of stuff that is too ugly to wear. He is generally pretty willing to go along with this and sometimes even does the same for me. It's good to know which of my clothes he doesn't like so much. And it's always good to be reminded of old clothes you haven't worn in a while.

As it turns out, some husbands are not so obedient. They need to be taught. Their wives only want the best for them. When my husband meets strangers, I want them to say, "Wow. He's a sharp dresser." (Plus, if they're thinking about how good Eric looks, it can only reflect positively on me!)

Before I continue, let me say that Eric is, in general, a rather nice dresser. He usually makes it a point not to look sloppy or wrinkled. You'll never catch him wearing white socks with his dress clothes or a baseball cap at a sit-down restaurant. He just has a couple of areas that need help, the main one being ties. For some reason, he just can't let go of a few of these.

Which is why I've started the new Vote Out One of Eric's Ugly Ties Each Summer Program. Each summer, I will post pictures of all of Eric's ugly ties. You, the readers, get to vote on the worst tie via comments. (This is an excellent time to comment if you have not yet!) You may only vote for one tie. You may tell all your friends about this program and refer them to my blog. If your friends don't feel like adding comments, you can add a comment for them that says "Here are the votes for everybody in my office, my extended family and all of my Facebook friends," and then proceed to give the counts. When the tie is selected, Eric and I will donate the tie to a local thrift store, and we will buy him a new, nice tie to replace the ugly tie. Here are this year's candidates:

As you can see, there are six ties in this year's program. Voting will end in two weeks (Tuesday, 21 August) at midnight. All comments must be submitted by that time. Let the voting begin!

10 comments:

Janssen said...

Cool idea. You might want to number the ties for ease in voting.

My vote is for #2. Frankly, although I wouldn't pick any of those ties to actually purchase, I don't think they're absolutely hideous.

Christie C said...

I do the same thing with Tim's clothes! haha #2 gets my vote also, although it was a rather tough decision.

Sherry said...

Janssen, maybe you just need to see these ties in person. Trust me, they're pretty bad.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes Husbands keep ties that have significant meaning. Such is the case for some of my ugly ties, most of which have specific mission memories attached. For me, there's the Cotten rodeo tie, or the polyester tie with some sort of egyptian hyroglyphs, and my OPM tie (Dad has an OPM tie also, very sentimental) So if there is no particular attachment to #2 then that is my vote. The stripes on #2 are too small for today's style, but they'll be back.
Tonight I will go home and get rid of my ugly non-sentimental ties.

Dusty and Amy said...

#'s 4-6 have got to go!!

Anonymous said...

I think I'd have to go with #5. I miss seeing you at the CFHG :)

Kristy said...

Number 2, ohh number 2. It's got to go.

Janet Walgren said...

I choose #4-6. How about showing us the proposed replacement.

Jon Bradshaw said...

I would get rid of ties #2, #4, & #6. May I vote three times?

Jon Bradshaw
WVR

Hillary said...

I would have to say #5 needs to go, but I would ask him to get rid of all of them but maybe one. They're pretty ugly.