17 May 2007

Procrastination: Something worth blogging about

I have a paper due tomorrow. I've barely begun. And I just spent 20 minutes searching for books on CD at the Provo Library and then putting said books on hold so I can check them out. I recently started listening to books on CD at work (a thing which I am techinically not supposed to do, but that is a dumb rule that I faithfully ignore, along with the rule which states I cannot listen to the news). Just last week I listened to My Ántonia by Willa Cather, and wow! did the time fly by. Sometimes my work can be rather tedious, and it is really nice to listen to quality literature while I frantically press the keys on the 10-key pad or while I look for the immigration record of Jose Juan Echegarayhoycabalguirregoitia, for example. (I realize that only people who are familiar with Basque names and the research project that I am working on will find that name hilarious, but I am keeping it there anyway).

Now, you're probably wondering what books I have put on hold, and I will tell you:
  • 1984
  • Anna Karenina
  • Atlas Shrugged, part I
  • Brave New World
  • Catch-22
  • Emma
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
  • Jane Eyre
  • The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants
  • Twilight

With the exception of Harry Potter, I have not read any of these books and feel like it would be good to at least familiarize myself with them. Although I am not technically reading the books, I feel like listening to them is substantially better than saying, "Yeah, I've heard of that one, but I've never read it." Many of the books will be available to me quite soon since I am first on the waiting list. Meanwhile, I'll finish listening to Silas Marner and try not to get too tired of NPR or Pandora.

2 comments:

Just Jaime said...

I'm currently reading Anna Karenina and it's kind of a slow read so maybe it would be good to listen to it on CD. I'm not exactly sure but I'm on page 525 and I think there is 200-300 more pages left in the whole book. I like it becacuse Tolstoy is amazing at making you feel so torn.

Also, I'd like to know what you think of Jane Eyre.

-Jaime from your freshmen ward

Janssen said...

Great list! I'm going to the library today! And I'm going to get something AWESOMe on CD - you inspire me! And I'm going to stop using so many exclamation points.