14 January 2012

Remakes

I am thoroughly enjoying the surge in movie and movie series remakes that we've seen in the last few years. I loved the two new Batman movies and am eagerly awaiting The Dark Knight Rises. I really enjoyed the new Star Trek, even though I was never a huge Star Trek fan to begin with. I also cannot say enough good things about the 2010 adaptation of True Grit. And now I have another film to add to the list of remakes - Rise of The Planet of the Apes.

First off, I have never seen the original Planet of the Apes, but I have learned enough about it through pop culture and people explaining the movie to me, that I understood the basic premise of the new film. I also knew enough about the original to be thoroughly amused with the references to it in the new movie. (There is one part where the lead chimp is playing with a toy Statue of Liberty. Very funny.)

I loved that the whole premise of the movie is based on a researcher trying to find the cure to Alzheimer's disease. It allowed the viewers to be sympathetic to the research and his overall objectives.

I am probably very late on the bandwagon for seeing this one (we just watched it this past week), but we're always behind on movies because we just wait for them to arrive via Netflix. (We have been on a list for ages and ages and ages and ages to receive The Help. I'm actually a little perturbed that Netflix hasn't just purchased more copies for distribution. This is the only bad thing I have to say about Netflix. Maybe I will get a Redbox code and go get The Help from Redbox. It would be my first ever time to get a movie through one of those machines. Seriously.)

3 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

I saw Mission Impossible last night in IMAX. It was pretty incredible. So much better than 3D. I think I'll probably spring for Batman and the Avengers in the same venue if it goes to IMAX.

Alice said...

I remenber seeing "Planet of the Apes" for the first time drove out of town about 2 hours and caught the 1:00am showing. We had never seen movie effects like those. The make up was out of this world. Now when I see it it seems so awful. but some times we need to see the story. Some of the old movies are really great. I loved to watch movies with my mom, she would tell me the back ground stories of the stars, the making of flims, and about the writers of the stories.

Roseann said...

We don't really watch TV besides our own movies and netflix as well. We actually tried to competely cancel cable, but when we tried to we found out with the current special it would cost more to have just internet, than to have internet and cable. So...we do have cable but I can honestly tell you I don't know the last time we used it. Maybe two months ago? Who knows.