04 March 2011

A Day in the Life

Ike comes to work with me. It is awesome.

He wakes me up every morning. Once he's fed, he hangs out either on the floor or in his Bumbo chair while I get ready. These days "get ready" means putting on clothes, brushing my teeth, brushing my hair, maybe grabbing something to eat, and maybe considering putting on make up. Usually by the time I'm done getting ready, he is pretty sleepy again. I put him in the front carrier and wear him around the apartment as I finish getting ready. I check the diaper bag to make sure it is adequately stocked with bibs, clothes, diapers and wipes. I grab my coat and put it on. Then I put a hat on Ike, unless he's already asleep, in which case I let him go hat-less rather than wake him. If it's chilly out (which it has been most of the time that Ike has been coming to work with me), I throw a blanket over him and tuck it under the straps of the carrier.

Our walk to work takes about three minutes. If he is asleep by the time I get there (which he almost always is) I wear him until he wakes up. Usually it is only about two hours. I work at my desk, and if he starts to fuss, I remind him of how much he loves his pacifier, I swivel in my chair, or I tilt my computer screen up so I can read it while I stand and sway side to side.

When he wakes up, it is time to eat. I take him to the break room where I nurse him while reading a book. Most feeding sessions take about thirty minutes, counting the amount of time it takes for me to change him and finish reading whatever chapter or section I'm in. (Ike is a very effecient eater.)

I take Ike back to my desk where he hangs out in a bouncer that my boss brought in for him. The bouncer happens to be located underneath my desk. Ike kicks and flails in the bouncer until his eyes glaze over and/or he starts to get fussy. Then I swaddle him, tilt the bouncer to a flat position, stick the pacifier in Ike's mouth, and he goes to sleep. Sometimes his going to sleep requires me holding him and swiveling in my chair, but most of the time he just kind of drifts off in his bouncer.

On a good day he'll only be awake for about two and a half hours, counting the time it takes for me to feed him twice. On a rough day, he will demand to be fed four times, and he will be grumpy and unwilling to fall asleep. Most days are good days, and I get a lot of work done.

It's an awesome setup. I'm beyond grateful that my work is so accommodating. I know that at some point Ike won't sleep all day, and I won't be able to have him with me all the time, so I'm enjoying this phase as much as I can while it lasts.


Angela Noelle of SK said...

Is it odd that I hung on every word of THIS post? A very "mamma post"? I think it's because I don't get to see you, in person, playing mamma...and I love reading it. x

Janssen said...

That is such a sweet setup!

Annie said...

You are so lucky! I would love to have brought sissy to work with me back when she was so young, man i would love to take the kids now, the High schoolers i Sub for would love to not pay attention to the worksheets provided by their teacher ;)