13 June 2010

Review: Masterpiece Theatre's Emma

We finished watching the 2009 Masterpiece Theatre version of Emma Friday night. I highly recommend it. Put it in your Netflix queue.

To be honest, I'm not one of those girls totally obsessed with Jane Austen and all adaptations of her books. I hadn't read Pride and Prejudice until the summer after my freshman year of college. (In fact, I'd hardly ever even heard of her until my freshman year of college when I met all these Jane-Austen-obsessed girls.) I quite liked Pride and Prejudice. Then, a couple of years ago I read Emma. It took me weeks to get through it. The characters truly were fantastic, but the plot was almost non-existent, which made the book quite a hard slog for me.

But this film adaptation of the book was truly delightful. You will spend four hours in bliss if you decide to watch it. (Eric liked it too!)

2 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

And Austen's books are better than the movies. The Austen-obsessed girls who have only seen the movies are more romnce-obsesed than Austenphiles. The great Jane is just so snarky. When you strip her voice out the pieces, all you have left is the romance. Lovely, to be sure, but not why Austen has endured all of these years.

I like the adaptations, generally, though I think the one you reference here is the only one I have NOT seen, but I have yet to find one that I think really captures the essence of Austen's work. Her voice is too authentic to easily replicate.

Angela said...

Must. find. this.