07 May 2008

Another trip

I went to Australia again this past weekend. Here is the rundown of my exhausting trip:

On Friday morning I flew from Dunedin to Christchurch. I spent about an hour in the Christchurch airport, then I flew to Melbourne where I was met by Alan (our business partner) and Anthea (his wife). We drove about two hours to Inverloch, where the conference was being held. We spent that evening setting up their booth, which I shared with them and then talking to conference attendees. I was exhausted by the time I got there, so I was extra exhausted by the time I went over to the Lehmann's house. I stayed with the Lehmann's, and they were exceptionally nice! Just a lovely older couple. They were so lovely and friendly that they insisted I have a snack before bed. I did have a snack, but I was so tired, all I could think about was climbing into bed!

On Saturday I was at the conference all day. Alan shared with me about 10 minutes of his speaking time so that I could tell the audience about the company and the Australia/New Zealand product we are launching soon. Then more booth-sitting and talking with folks. That night we went to dinner, and then I went back to the Lehmann's where I watched "footy," or Australian Rules Football with Mr. Lehmann. WHAT A COOL SPORT! Seriously, I really enjoyed it! Thoroughly entertaining. Although, it did make me a little hungry for some BYU football, and it reminded me that I am going to miss a whole season! Oh, the horror!

On Sunday morning Alan and Anthea picked me up and we started the drive to the Melbourne airport. We swung by Phillip Island, which is a beautiful little touristy spot, but we didn't do anything there or spend any time there. I arrived at the airport at about 1 p.m., and then boarded my flight at 5:30. That was a lot of sitting.

I arrived in Christchurch at midnight. This was my second time to go through customs in Christchurch, and I submit that it must be one of the worst airports as far as customs are concerned. Melbourne, Adelaide and Auckland have all been substantially faster! It took an hour to clear customs, then I caught a shuttle and arrived at my hotel at 1:30 a.m.. The cab picked me up at 6 a.m., and I arrived in Dunedin at 8.

What's that? I spent more time travelling than I did at the conference? Right you are. Right you are.

"You're so lucky to have been to Australia," you say. Sure. I guess you're right. Just keep in mind I still haven't seen much in my two visits across the creek.

No comments: