30 June 2012

Whirlwind Weeks

I've had so much to write about and so few pictures available to share in the last few weeks. I often use the excuse of "gotta get the pictures off the phones and the camera before I can write a post" as an excuse not to write a post. So far this isn't really working out well for me. (Or for you, my sad, sad, readers who have surely missed me greatly.)

True to my catch-up-on-blogging style, you may have a summary of my last few weeks of life via a bulleted list:
  • Eric's sister and her family were in town. We hung out with them in a canyon, and it was fun.
  • Then Eric's brother and his family were in town. They stayed with us overnight on Wednesday night.
  • On Thursday they took Ike while I went into work for an impromptu thing. I've never spelled out exactly why I was traveling for work so much in May. In short, I'm now one of several people who can act as an official spokesperson for my company. It has been a lot of fun. The shoot I did that Thursday was at the Salt Lake Public Library, and it was unlike any I had done before. If you are a friend of mine on Facebook, I'll probably share details about when this spokesperson gig will be on television. But I might not. We'll see.
  • After being a TV star I met up with a whole bunch of Eric's family at Grandma L.'s house where we had dinner and went swimming. Ike hadn't seen me all day, and he didn't seem to care one iota when I showed up at Grandma's house. Clearly hanging out with cousins all day is awesome. He also hadn't been swimming since last summer, and I didn't know whether he would think swimming was awesome or horrible. Turns out that he liked it.
  • That night Eric's brother and his family went to stay with Eric's parents, and Eric's sister and her family came to stay with us. Ike had so much fun with his cousins, but I think he especially enjoyed this particular cousin. It was very fun to watch them interact together. This cousin was extra lucky to be at our house on Friday morning when the garbage truck came. Both boys happily watched it drive up the other side of the road, and then eagerly anticipated its return on our side of the road.
  • While Eric's sister and her husband were getting ready to head over to Eric's parents' house and take Ike with them (so I could wrap up my work for the week and then follow a few hours later), I was notified that our home was being evacuated because of a rather large wildfire nearby. More than anything else, I was put out that I had to pack the belongings for three people without adequate time to make a list to be sure I wasn't forgetting anything. We ended up only staying overnight at Eric's parents' house, which made for twelve extra people in the house. It was a lot of fun.
  • A little while after I arrived at Eric's parents' house we all went to the Bean Life Science Museum (a.k.a. the Dead Animal Zoo.) I had taken Ike with my brother's kids back when they were here in March, and he enjoyed it then, but it was nothing compared to how much fun he had that day. He ran around like a crazy person barking and growling at all the animals. Also waving and saying "Hi!" I was very sad that Eric was at work and missing out on the fun. I was also a little sad that my child is so exceptionally friendly with dead animals and much less so with people.
  • Saturday morning we all went to the planetarium in Salt Lake City. Then Eric and I dropped back by the Bean Museum so he could enjoy watching Ike enjoy the dead animals. It was just as amusing as the day before. That afternoon we went swimming again.
  • We managed to get in one game of Puerto Rico with Matt and Michelle before Eric and I had to head home.
  • Only I didn't go home. I went to the airport to pick up my friend's little sister. She had never been to Utah before, and she was in town to attend a camp at BYU. On Sunday morning we went to Temple Square and watched Music and the Spoken Word. Then church. Then down to BYU to drop her off. Thus ended the craziness.
  • Except then we all came down with something that had no real symptoms except making us all feel pretty blah. Then we got over it. But there is a fun story and a great picture once I get the picture off my phone. This will obviously be some future post that may or may not happen.
  • Today I mowed the lawn again, and Eric and his dad labored in the yard building rock walls.
  • I am pretty much wearing exclusively maternity clothes. Still people are telling me that I do not look pregnant. That is kind of them. And I will admit that I am still very small for 25 weeks.


Jessica Leigh said...

Love that picture of Ike and Knut (seems appropriate to use his old nickname...) Though it makes the latter look much too big!

Jenny said...

Yikes... the wildfires! And you sort of mention it as an aside... I'm glad you're not affected (so much).