14 August 2018

Europe Trip: Day 5 (Salzburg)

We spent that Monday in Salzburg. We saw the main sites, including some of the places where The Sound of Music was filmed. Although I liked Salzburg, there were other cities I enjoyed more on the trip, so my memories of Salzburg are already a bit fuzzy.

This is one of the more "iconic" photos with the bridge with all the locks, the big green-domed cathedral behind, and the "festung" up on top. (Apparently "festung" means fortress, or something. If I haven't mentioned already, I don't speak German.)

We went to the cathedral, and it was gorgeous, of course. I think by this time on our trip (a whopping five days in), we were already beginning to experience the law of diminishing returns. All the cathedrals are amazing, so seeing one more amazing cathedral becomes a little less amazing each time.

This cathedral is particularly beautiful because of how bright it is inside. Much of it is made with white stone, and there were several windows in the domes that allow a lot of light in. In addition to the main organ, there were four smaller organs. I would love to hear all of them playing together.

We also went up to the festung. I was not blown away by that experience, but the men loved it. The festung includes a museum devoted to this particular miltary unit through the centuries. Eric would probably love to tell you about it, but I spent much of that time looking for benches, which were scarce.

But at the end, they had one of these things, so that was awesome.

And then when we finished the museum, we had pretzels while we looked over the city.

That evening we went to a really cool dinner concert. The dinner was the best meal I had in Europe. All the music was composed by Mozart. A string quartet accompanied two singers, and they performed several pieces from various operas. It was lovely. While we waited for that to start, we popped over to the church right next door. Yet again, it was a beautiful church. But I loved the cemetery more.

That night we returned to our hotel in Germany.

1 comment:

SARAH T. said...

Where is the Mecca of operas? Germany? Anyway funny you posted about Mozart. I am listening to him while reading your blogs. I agree the cemeteries would be the coolest and being such reverence.