02 March 2017

Ike is Six! (and a quarter)

I am rather behind on Ike's birthday post. He turned six in December. I worked on his birthday, but his babysitter sent me this picture of him with the birthday crown he got at school.
We told Ike he wasn't having a friends party this year since he had one last year. But actually, he had a surprise party. I took him to the dollar store for various items we needed (and to let him shop for his brother and sister's Christmas gifts), and then we went to Little Ceasar's for a couple of pizzas. He was totally clueless and didn't notice that I got two pizzas instead of the usual one.

When we got home, Eric had readied the house and the handful of guests. I had invited all the kids via texts to their moms and specifically asked them not to tell their kids about the surprise party until it was time to head over to our house. When Ike and I came in, the friends jumped out and yelled, "Surprise!" Ike said, "What are you guys doing here?" I explained they were there for his party, and he said, apologetically to his friends, "I'm not having a friends party this year." Once we explained the concept of a surprise party, he was a happy boy.

At six years old Ike is a good student who enjoys kindergarten. Usually when I ask him how school was, he tells me, "Great." He loves to play with friends, and he adores his baby sister, sometimes too much.

Ike is a good eater and rarely complains anymore about dinner, even if it's something he doesn't really like. He is usually a good helper, and he's capable of doing lots of jobs around the house.

Although Ike can read, I definitely wouldn't classify reading as a hobby. He basically only reads when I tell him to do so. He enjoys being read to, and we have read a few chapter books this past year.

Shortly after turning six Ike lost his first tooth, something he'd been eagerly anticipating for a few months. He lost his second tooth about a week later.
A post shared by Sherry (@containyourexcitement) on

In addition to playing with friends, Ike loves to have battles with his army guys and to play outside when the weather is nice. He is looking forward to soccer starting again in the spring. 

I love this oldest kid of mine. We're in a good groove right now where he is easy to get along with and generally a really good boy. I am really enjoying it and hoping we stay in this good-natured phase for a while.

No comments: